TALK YA TRUE

Nigeria

Ahmed Tajudeen Case Takes Fresh Turn as FCID Begins New Investigation, VDM Says

The Ahmed Tajudeen case has taken a fresh turn after VeryDarkMan said the Nigeria Police Force’s Force Criminal Investigation Department has reopened the investigation and visited Tajudeen in hospital to obtain a new statement. VDM also said investigators have asked him to submit the evidence he has gathered, prompting him to temporarily step back from discussing the case publicly.

By Ambeshi SergeFOUNDER & EDITOR, TALK YA TRUE
Share
VeryDarkMan discussing the latest development in the Ahmed Tajudeen case and fresh FCID investigation
Image credit: Talk Ya True

The controversial case involving Ahmed Tajudeen Akanbi has taken another turn after social commentator VeryDarkMan (VDM) announced that the Nigeria Police Force has commenced a fresh investigation into the matter.

VDM disclosed the development in a video shared on his social media platforms, saying officers from the Force Criminal Investigation Department (FCID) had visited Tajudeen in hospital to obtain a fresh statement.

According to VDM, Tajudeen is currently receiving medical treatment and is dealing with a kidney-related health problem.

The development comes after months of intense public debate surrounding Tajudeen's case and VDM's repeated criticism of aspects of the original investigation.

VDM says he has been asked to submit his evidence

In the same video, VDM said the Police have asked him to submit the evidence in his possession to assist investigators with the new inquiry.

This is significant because VDM has spent considerable time publishing documents, recordings and other material that he says raise questions about the investigation into Tajudeen.

He has repeatedly challenged the evidence linking Tajudeen to the deaths of Sheriff Salami and Prince Ademola Akinloye, while also questioning the conduct of some officials involved in the case.

VDM has previously made serious allegations concerning the handling of the investigation, including allegations involving Assistant Inspector-General of Police Moshood Jimoh. Those allegations remain contested and have not been established as facts.

VDM says he will temporarily stop discussing the case

Perhaps the most notable part of VDM's latest announcement is his decision to step back from publicly discussing the case.

He said that because the Police have requested the evidence he has gathered, he will no longer discuss the matter online for the time being.

VDM said he would only return to public commentary if he noticed what he described as something suspicious in the investigative process.

The decision represents a notable change from the approach he has taken throughout the controversy, during which he frequently used social media to raise questions and publish material relating to the case.

Police had previously invited both sides

The latest development follows an earlier intervention by the Nigeria Police Force.

On July 30, 2026, the Force Criminal Investigation Department in Abuja formally invited VDM to substantiate allegations he had made publicly against AIG Moshood Jimoh. The Police also confirmed that Jimoh had been invited for questioning as part of an internal administrative review.

The Police said the steps were intended to demonstrate that allegations of misconduct would be investigated regardless of the rank of the officer involved.

VDM subsequently indicated that he was willing to cooperate but requested additional safeguards, including the presence of his lawyers and independent observers.

Why the fresh investigation matters

The Ahmed Tajudeen case has generated significant public attention because of the seriousness of the allegations and the competing narratives surrounding the investigation.

VDM has argued that the evidence available to the public does not adequately establish Tajudeen's involvement in the killings.

His position has attracted strong support from some Nigerians, particularly those who believe that the questions he has raised deserve formal answers.

Others have urged caution, arguing that criminal allegations should be determined through evidence, investigation and the courts rather than through social media campaigns.

The new FCID investigation could therefore provide an opportunity for some of those competing claims to be tested through a formal investigative process.

A chance to move from social media claims to evidence

One of the most important aspects of the latest development is that VDM says he has now been asked to hand over the evidence he has been discussing publicly.

If the materials contain information relevant to the investigation, investigators will have an opportunity to examine them alongside the evidence already gathered by the Police.

That process could help determine whether the documents and recordings raise legitimate concerns about the original investigation or whether they do not materially alter the case.

It is important, however, not to assume the outcome in advance.

A fresh investigation does not automatically establish that the original investigation was flawed, just as the existence of an earlier investigation does not by itself establish guilt.

The evidence will ultimately have to speak for itself.

The case has become a wider debate about justice

Beyond Ahmed Tajudeen himself, the controversy has become part of a larger Nigerian conversation about police accountability and public confidence in the justice system.

VDM has increasingly positioned himself as an "online police", arguing that citizens and social media can play a role in questioning official narratives and demanding accountability.

His supporters believe his persistence has forced institutions to revisit questions that might otherwise have received limited public attention.

Critics, however, maintain that social media should not replace formal investigations or judicial proceedings.

The latest FCID development may now provide an opportunity for both approaches to meet: allegations raised publicly can be tested against evidence through an official investigative process.

What happens next?

The immediate focus will likely be on what investigators find after reviewing the material submitted by VDM and taking fresh statements from the relevant individuals.

The Police will also have an opportunity to clarify the status of the investigation and respond to questions that have been raised publicly.

For VDM, the decision to temporarily stop discussing the case could allow investigators to work without the constant pressure of daily social media commentary.

For the public, the hope is that the fresh investigation produces clear answers.

The central question is no longer simply what VDM says or what the Police say.

It is whether the available evidence can establish what happened, who was responsible for the alleged crimes, and whether every person involved has been treated according to the law.

For a case that has generated so much public interest, that is ultimately what Nigerians deserve: a transparent investigation, credible evidence and due process—regardless of where the evidence leads.

Sources

  • VeryDarkMan's Instagram/Facebook video — primary source for his latest announcement that FCID investigators visited Ahmed Tajudeen and requested evidence from him.

  • The ICIR — reporting on VDM's agreement to honour the Police invitation and his proposed conditions.

  • TheCable — reporting on the Nigeria Police Force's invitation to VDM and confirmation that AIG Jimoh was invited for questioning.

PUBLISHER NOTE

About Talk Ya True

Talk Ya True publishes independent reporting and analysis with clear attribution, source transparency and corrections when needed.

Stay Informed

Get the latest stories from Nigeria.

Free news updates. Unsubscribe anytime.

By subscribing, you agree to receive free news updates from Talk Ya True. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Share