TALK YA TRUE

Nigeria

Gunmen Abduct Worshippers During Friday Prayers in Niger State

An unspecified number of Muslim worshippers were abducted during Friday prayers in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State, according to the state police command and local reports. Security forces have been deployed for assessment and rescue operations, while authorities say no deaths have been confirmed.

By Ambeshi SergeFOUNDER & EDITOR, TALK YA TRUE
Share
Muslim worshippers gather for Friday prayers in Niger State amid security concerns

An unspecified number of Muslim worshippers have been abducted during Friday prayers in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State, in another security incident that has raised fresh concerns over the safety of rural communities in the state.

The incident occurred on Friday, August 21, when suspected armed men reportedly entered communities in the Dekara area of Borgu and abducted worshippers gathered for Juma’at prayers.

The Niger State Police Command confirmed that people were taken but said the exact number of victims had not yet been established.

Police also said no life was lost in the incident based on the information available at the time of its statement. A joint security team was subsequently deployed to assess the situation and begin rescue efforts.

What Happened?

According to local reports, the attackers arrived at about 2pm, when residents were gathered for the weekly Friday prayers.

The attack reportedly affected several communities around Dekara, including Gidan Zana, Sabon Gida, Masaka and Kpenya.

Reports indicate that the Central Mosque in Dekara was among the locations targeted.

Witness accounts said the attackers surrounded worshippers after prayers and took several people away towards nearby bushland believed to connect to the Kainji Lake forest.

The exact circumstances of the attack remain under investigation.

Number of Victims Still Unknown

One of the biggest unanswered questions is how many people were abducted.

The police have deliberately described the number as unspecified, while community sources have said they were unable to immediately establish a final figure.

That means reports describing the incident as involving a specific number of victims should be treated cautiously until authorities complete their assessment.

The village head of Dekara, Umar Abubakar, reportedly confirmed that several worshippers had been taken but said the community could not yet determine the exact number.

Several Communities Reportedly Affected

The attack appears to have extended beyond a single location.

Local accounts cited by Nigerian media say people from neighbouring communities, including Gidan Zana, Masaka and Sabon Gida, regularly attend Friday prayers at the central mosque in Dekara.

This could explain why residents from several communities were reportedly among those affected.

A local resident told Leadership that the attackers allegedly moved the abducted worshippers away in a line towards the forest after the prayers ended.

The account has not independently established the identities or total number of those taken.

Police Begin Rescue Operation

Following the report, the Niger State Police Command said a joint security detachment had been deployed to the area.

The team is expected to assess the situation, search for the abducted residents and pursue the attackers.

Police spokesman Wasiu Abiodun said the developing report indicated that people had been abducted during prayers while others managed to escape into nearby forest areas.

He also said there had been no reported loss of life at the time of the police update.

Authorities have promised to make further information public as the operation develops.

Communication Problems Hamper Response

Local residents have also reported difficulties communicating after the attack.

According to the village head cited by Platform Times, the attackers allegedly destroyed a solar-powered communication network in the community.

If confirmed, the damage could make it more difficult for residents to communicate with authorities and coordinate emergency assistance.

The reported destruction also highlights the challenges faced by rural communities where conventional communication infrastructure may be limited.

No Deaths Confirmed

Despite the seriousness of the attack, there has been no official confirmation of deaths connected to this particular incident.

That is an important distinction because some security incidents in the wider region have resulted in significant loss of life.

At the time of the latest police update, the authorities said the developing report indicated that no one had been killed.

The primary concern is therefore the safe recovery of those who were abducted.

Niger State Faces Continuing Security Challenges

The incident comes amid continuing concerns about insecurity in parts of Niger State.

Borgu and surrounding areas have experienced attacks and kidnappings attributed to armed groups, with rural communities particularly vulnerable because of their proximity to large forest areas.

Earlier this month, police confirmed the recovery of nine bodies on the Wawa-Lumma road in Borgu after suspected terrorists attacked travellers. Security forces subsequently intensified clearance operations in the area.

The latest mosque abduction therefore adds to a growing security concern in the region.

Why the Attack Is Particularly Disturbing

The fact that the incident occurred during Friday prayers has attracted particular attention.

Juma’at is one of the most important weekly religious gatherings for Muslims, bringing large numbers of people together in mosques.

An attack during that period can therefore expose many people at once.

It also raises concerns about whether armed groups are becoming increasingly willing to enter populated communities and target people during routine activities.

For residents, the incident could further increase fear around attending communal religious gatherings.

What People Are Saying Online

The incident has generated strong reactions across social media, with many Nigerians expressing concern over the security situation in Niger State.

A major theme is anger that worshippers could be abducted from a mosque during Friday prayers.

Some users are calling for stronger security around vulnerable communities, particularly areas close to forests that have been linked to previous attacks.

Others are questioning why rural communities continue to face repeated attacks despite ongoing military and police operations.

There are also calls for the government to improve intelligence gathering and communication infrastructure in affected communities.

At the same time, some users are urging caution over unverified casualty and victim figures.

That caution is important because the police have not confirmed the exact number of people abducted, and the rescue operation remains ongoing.

X Reactions Need to Be Treated Carefully

The story has attracted online discussion, but the most reliable information currently comes from the Niger State Police Command and local eyewitness/community accounts.

Searches for current X posts did not provide sufficiently reliable, directly verifiable posts to attribute specific claims or quotations to individual users.

For that reason, Talk Ya True should not present screenshots, anonymous posts or unverified numbers circulating online as established facts.

The confirmed position remains that an unspecified number of worshippers were abducted and security forces have been deployed for rescue operations.

What Happens Next?

The immediate priority is locating and rescuing the abducted worshippers.

Security agencies will also need to establish the identities of those taken, determine how many people remain missing and identify those responsible for the attack.

For families in the affected communities, the hope is that the security operation will lead to the safe return of their relatives.

The incident also puts renewed pressure on authorities to strengthen security around rural communities in Borgu and other areas facing repeated attacks.

Until the operation is completed, several important details remain unclear.

But one thing is already clear: another Nigerian community has been left dealing with the fear and uncertainty created by an armed kidnapping attack.

And this time, the victims were reportedly taken while gathered for Friday prayers.

Key Facts

  • Location: Borgu LGA, Niger State

  • Area reportedly affected: Dekara and neighbouring communities

  • Victims: Muslim worshippers

  • Number abducted: Not officially established

  • Reported time: Around 2pm on Friday, August 21

  • Deaths: No deaths confirmed by police at the time of the latest update

  • Security response: Joint security detachment deployed

  • Investigation/rescue: Ongoing

Sources

  • Niger State Police account reported by Leadership — confirmation of the abduction, unspecified victim count and deployment of security personnel.

  • Premium Times — report confirming that worshippers were abducted during Friday prayers and that details remained incomplete.

  • Platform Times — local reporting on the affected communities and community leaders' accounts.

  • Nationwide Reports — police statement on the attack and confirmation that no deaths had been reported.

PUBLISHER NOTE

About Talk Ya True

Talk Ya True publishes independent reporting and analysis with clear attribution, source transparency and corrections when needed.

Stay Informed

Get the latest stories from Nigeria.

Free news updates. Unsubscribe anytime.

By subscribing, you agree to receive free news updates from Talk Ya True. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Share